Sunday, February 1, 2009

Florida Getaway

Mike & I are in sunny Florida visiting Kyle (& his mom and dad) and are happy that we could get warm too! (It was 15 degrees when we left Utah. Brrrr!) Our first "excursion" was to Key Biscayne, just south of Miami. (The city's in the distance in this picture.)


We went to Bill Baggs State Park on the key, which has a beautiful lighthouse. In fact, it's the oldest existing structure in South Florida.



We were able to climb to the top of the lighthouse and get a fabulous view of the beach & ocean.



Then we HAD to go wading in the Atlantic Ocean-it felt SO good! It was hard to believe that the day before we were shivering in the snow & ice......I guess Mike really wanted to leave Utah & work behind because he accidently dropped his work phone in the ocean! Oh well!!!!


After wading for awhile, we went to the Lighthouse Cafe and enjoyed a laid-back meal of fresh fried fish, red beans & rice, and mango juice. It was a wonderful way to spend our first day in South Florida!


On Friday, we went to Everglades National Park and ended up eating at Joanie's Blue Crab Cafe, a "classic" tourist place. Click on the links to Mel's Blog for the "full story." Yesterday a "cold" front moved in and it only got up to about 65 degrees-waah. So I sat outside and soaked up the sun and loved it! We're hoping to actually go swimming at Hollywood Beach tomorrow and then we head back to the cold on Tuesday. It's been wonderful to get to thaw out AND be with Kyle, Melodee, and Stephen for a few days.
A big SHOUTOUT to Mel for helping her "Blog Apprentice" with another post. I pledge to do my own when I get back home-Thanks, Mel!

2 comments:

Kendal and Alissa said...

I'm so jealous!! I am craving some hot weather and the water looks beautiful! I'm very impressed with your blogging skills....I loved you singing "Desperado"...so good!

Mrs. Wright said...

GORGEOUS pictures! Every time I see ocean pictures on others blogs I'm reminded of how much I miss it! I can feel the warmth of the sun through these pictures. Thank you. It's great to see you had such a great time!